Educating both kids and adults is key to child abuse prevention and intervention! We offer a host of FREE online educational videos and handouts that offer practical tips and information about ways to protect children from sexual abuse and help them know what to do in the event they are ever harmed. Additionally, we offer the nationally acclaimed Darkness to Light Stewards of Children® training program to adults from all sectors of the community so that everyone is equipped with the knowledge and skills to keep children safe.
TBCAC Executive Director Sue Bolde addresses sexual abuse prevention, mental health concerns and a host of child protection issues in her video vignette series, “Sue Says…” designed for parents, teachers and other caring adults on-the-go.
Dr. Amelia Siders (along with her loyal sidekick Jeeves) offers candid, practical tips about child sexual abuse prevention, child safety and the intervention and healing of child abuse in her vlog series, “Doc Talk”.
Covering a host of child protection issues, our monthly blog addresses ways in which parents and other caring adults can protect children, as well as outlines facts and statistics about child sexual abuse around the country and right here in the Grand Traverse Region.
Child Clues Infographic
This informative, at-a-glance resource outlines nine (9) ways that children acting outside of their normal behavior may indicate something isn’t right in their lives… including the possibility of experiencing child sexual abuse.
10 Reasons Children DO NOT Disclose Sexual Abuse Infographic
It’s extremely common for children to NOT tell anyone they are being sexually abused… so, why is that? This informative infographic outlines the 10 primary reasons children remain silent about being victims of sexual abuse.
Helping Your Child Heal From Abuse Guide
It’s often difficult for a parent or care giver to know what to do when a child has been abused. This guide explains the process followed by child advocacy centers, what to expect during a multidisciplinary child abuse investigation and outlines next steps for helping a child begin his/her journey of healing.
Stewards of Children®
Darkness to Light’s “Stewards of Children®“ is a FREE two-hour training that discusses techniques for adults to protect children from child abuse, talk with children about abuse, and learn how to responsibly report it. This course not only protects children, it also protects adults from unknowingly creating situations where child abuse can occur.
Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACEs) Resources
1) “The Deepest Well: Healing the Long-Term Effects of Childhood Adversity” by Nadine Burke Harris, MD
2) “The Body Keeps the Score: Brain, Mind, and Body in the Healing of Trauma” by Bessel van der Kolk, MD
1) TED Talk: What Americans Agree on When it Comes to Help by Rebecca Onie
1) Compassion Resilience Toolkit — Facilitator resources to build the capacity of helping professionals, caregivers, and the systems in which they serve.
2) Building Community Resilience — Includes information about the approach; policy and advocacy; tools and resources
4) Essentials for Childhood Framework — Creating Safe, Stable, Nurturing Relationships and Environments for All Children from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
5) Preventing Child Abuse and Neglect — A Technical Package for Policy, Norm, and Programmatic Activities from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
6) Life is Good: Welcome to the Hub of Optimism — Includes stories, information about the art of optimism, and ideas for how to get involved
7) Stress Health from the Center for Youth Wellness — Information on toxic stress, parenting with ACEs, and ways to help protect and heal children from toxic stress
To schedule a FREE training, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.